emory center for aids research cores
Prevention and Implementation Sciences Core
The central purpose of the Prevention and Implementation Sciences (PAIS) Core is to advance research and interventions designed to prevent new infections and improve health equity in populations living with and at risk for HIV.
The Core accomplishes this by supporting the implementation of evidence-based biomedical, behavioral, and social prevention intervention and research methods for studies of pre-exposure prophylaxis, treatment as prevention, technology-supported prevention, and geospatial analyses.
The Core is physically located in the Grace Crum Rollins Building of the Rollins School of Public Health.
Want to better understand the HIV epidemic where you live? Check out AIDSVu — an interactive online mapping tool led by Prevention Science Core faculty: https://aidsvu.org/.
Find a PrEP provider at PrEPLocator.org, an online directory used by over half a million people, created by Prevention and Implementation Sciences Core faculty: https://preplocator.org/.
Services Offered by the Core
Consultation: (Contact Core for pricing; first hour at no cost)
- Design and programming of web-based behavioral surveys
- Molecular Laboratory and university partnership best practices
- Integration of STI biomarkers in behavioral research
- Data collection methods, analysis, and integration
- Research participant management and retention
- Project management for HIV research studies
- Intervention design and adaptation
- Mobile app development
- Geospatial data analysis
- Implementation study designs
- Implemenations frameworks, measures, and outcomes
Access to Shared Equipment:
- Equipment loan program including:
- iPads and tablets for web-based data collection and study recruitment (no cost)
- Laptops pre-programmed with ACASI/CASI software (no cost)
- MiFis to support web-based survey administration ($34/month per equipment for MiFi. Cell rates vary by plan)
- Smartphones for app testing
Access to HIPAA-Compliant Alchemer Survey Platform: ($322/account for annual subscription fee)*
- Account development, login, and access
- Training and/or survey setup may incur additional fees.
Access to Study Management and Retention Tool (SMART): ($1388 setup fee / $3593 annual fees)
- SMART generates individualized study visit schedules for each study participant, maintains work queues for retention staff, automates and tracks email and SMS interactions with participants, allows documentation of phone interactions, manages staffing of study events, and generates and maintains calendar appointments for staff and participants.
- Proposal writing/manuscript preparation (no fee)
- HIV prevention interventions (no fee)
- Fundamentals of HIV Prevention Counseling ($152/per person)*
- Connection to phlebotomy trainings (TBD/person)*
*subsidies are available for students and community-based organizations
To request any of the services listed above, please complete an Emory CFAR service request form >
Core Leadership and Key Staff
Natalie Crawford, PhD
Jessica Sales, PhD
Aaron Siegler, PhD
Hannah Cooper, ScD
PAIS Core Emeritus Director
Patrick Sullivan, DVM, PhD
PAIS Core Emeritus Director
Katy Berteau, MA
Manager, CFAR PAIS Core
Contact the Core
Join the Prevention and Implementation Sciences Core Listserv
Sign up to be added to the Prevention and Implementation Sciences Core listserv
Center for AIDS Research at Emory University
1518 Clifton Rd, NE
Atlanta, GA 30322-4201
404.727.2924 | email@example.com